My cousin is a Browns fan and a fourth-year med student at Northeast Ohio Medical University who would never lie about anything. This is important because she was on a flight from Chicago to Cleveland this afternoon with Brandon Weeden’s cousin, first name “Darren,” who was sitting in the row in front of her and had a lot to say to the folks sitting next to him about the Browns — a lot of it firsthand info from Weeden himself. It started after the folks in his row, making smalltalk, asked him why he was going to Cleveland. He said he lived in Denver, was on his way to Cleveland for the Browns game, and that he had only missed one game all season. The rowmates were naturally impressed, and asked if he was from Cleveland, which is when he told them he was Weeden’s cousin.
Brandon Weeden’s cousin and my cousin together on a plane today; Kirk Cousins set to start against the Browns tomorrow. What could it mean? Probably a lot. Anyway, here’s some of what Weeden’s cousin was overheard saying today about the Browns.
- Browns players think it’s a foregone conclusion that Pat Shurmur will not return as head coach after this season. There’s been talk among the players (not apparently founded on anything) about Andy Reid becoming the next head coach, which is an idea that the players “seemed to like.”
- Josh Cribbs wants to play for a team that will give him more snaps at WR, which might not be especially surprising. But what’s more surprising is that Weeden thinks Cribbs should get more snaps at WR as well. Weeden’s cousin said that on 3rd-and-5, Weeden wants to throw to Josh Cooper (his former teammate at Oklahoma State), and on 3rd-and-20, he wants to throw to Cribbs.
- Trent Richardson has been playing with three broken ribs. Weeden expects Richardson will be much better once he has a chance to heal.
- Weeden’s shoulder is “messed up from baseball” so much that Weeden “can’t even play catch” with a baseball anymore. Something about “overthrowing.” Weeden’s cousin said that throwing a football doesn’t aggravate the injury at all.
- Weeden and Joe Thomas have a trip to Las Vegas planned for January with Weeden’s cousin. There was some talk about Andrew Luck joining them as well depending on how the playoffs go for the Colts.
Which is about it. If any of my cousins hear anything else important I’ll fill you in immediately, of course, and will be back tomorrow either way with a gameday open thread.